Czech driver’s license for foreigners

Czech driver’s license

Foreigners have two option to obtain a Czech driver’s license. Option one is changing your driver’s license from home country for a Czech one. Option two is going through the full process as a first-time driver at a driving school.

A) Eu Citizens and citizens of some countries who have the agreement with Czech authorities

EU citizens and citizens of some countries can exchange their driver’s license which was obtained from their home country. The most important condition to get a driver’s license exchanged is proof of a 6 months stay in the Czech Republic. Be advised, a temporary residency certificate is not proof of a 6-month stay! The proof of stay in the Czech Republic can be a lease agreement, bank statement, or work contract for the past 6 months. If you are a Trade license holder, you can provide your income tax report from the previous year or health insurance payment statements for the last 6 months.

B) Citizens of Third countries

Most citizens of third countries should go through the procedure as new drivers. According to the current law, you should have 26 hours of driving experience with an accredited driving school instructor, plus a study of theoretical tests. You should bring the general letter of health and eligibility of the driver from GP to the school. The form can be downloaded here. Both these services are provided by the driving school. The school will make an appointment for both the tests and the exam.  

You don’t speak Czech?

If you don’t speak Czech, you can hire the translator for the tests.  After you pass the tests, you will be able to continue with the second part of the exam which is the driving skills portion. After successfully passing the driving skills aspect, you will get an application form with the stamps from school and the examination results.

After successfully passing these steps, you can apply for your driver’s license. The procedure of registration and producing your driver license takes approximately 20 days.

Foreigners must prove of 6 months’ stay in the Czech Republic, therefore they have a biometric card that’s older than 6 months. Most third-country nationals have residency permits for 2 years and renew them for the next 2 years each time. If you have just collected your new biometric card and it is not older than 6 months, the only solution is getting a confirmation of your full legal stay history from the immigration office.

Confirmation of full legal stay in the Czech Republic for Third nationalities

You can download the confirmation from here and apply for it any immigration office. The service fee of immigration offices is 15 CZK that will be paid with stamps once collected! if You are visiting the MOI offices without an appointment, you should get number/ticket OTHERS.

Exchanging drivers license for Non-EU citizens

If your driver’s license is written in Latin alphabet and the numbers ( for exemple number 3- date of birth ) are same as in Czech driver’s licence you can exchange your drivers license for a Czech one without the obligation to pass the driver’s test one again. The exchange of your driver’s license for Czech driver’s license will be free of charge if you change it after 90 days of your legal stay, because when you have residency in Czech Republic, it is mandatory to exchange the drivers license for a Czech one after 3 months.

4 replies
  1. Anne Kile Næss
    Anne Kile Næss says:

    Hi there.

    This is really good info, but I have a quick question for you.

    I have already passed my test and I have tried a couple of times to go to the office to get it approved and get the license without any luck. I was told by my driving instructure and everyone I passed along the way that my lease contract and my internet contract was enough proof of stay for six months. You write that I need a biometric card, but I dont have one as I work independently and pay taxes to my home country – do you know if there is any way around this?

    For your information, I am from Norway. We not in the EU, but in Schengen and have a lot of agreements with the EU that practically gives me the same rights in Czechia.

    Thank you for your reply.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.